Followers

My Blog List

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dad...For Those Who Ask...




There are many people who ask about how my Dad is doing. It is nice to know so many people care about us, and how we are holding up. It is tough at times. REALLY tough sometimes. The road of Alzheimer's is a long and arduous one. One that takes a toll on caretakers and patients both. His health is slowly...and I mean S...L...O...W...L...Y... declining. He was so very strong and young when he received the diagnosis...that I think that has made it an even longer road. The doctors say that patients with "Early Onset" of Alzheimers usually decline faster, but...he is STRONG as an OX!

I try and visit my Dad (who is at a home in HB) most times when I go to OC. He has been there for a few years now...and some days are easier for me when I visit...and others are harder.

Luckily...my kids (atleast for right now)...enjoy seeing/visiting Papa Chris. We like to go at lunch time and feed him. We try and bring him In-n-Out when we visit for lunch. Sometimes the kids take turns feeding him, but mostly they just watch me do it. They ask questions sometimes...but this is the only way they have ever known Papa Chris...so ...it is what it is...to them.

It distracts me from the pain when I have the kids with me. But also gives me something to do. I LOVE when he gets a twinkle in his eye...like he hears me...or notices me...or the kids. It is interesting how I can notice such small signs or movements in him...and how much they mean to me and the kids when we are there. I am SURE that these signs are not neccesarily what I take them to be...but luckily...I get to decide what I see and feel when I visit.

It feels good to share this . I hope you enjoy these picture of him with the kids as much as I do!

2 comments:

  1. Katie - thanks for the update on your dad. I love your blog! Great job! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, This made me cry. Not just because of the heartache you must be going through seeing your dad's health declining, but by your wonderful spirit. It's what I remember when I think of you. Your dad and kids (and matty :) are SO lucky to have you!
    love, Marisa

    ReplyDelete